A Quick Guide to Studying Abroad

Most students want to study abroad for independence, for their desire to learn other people’s language and culture, to travel, and to impress future employers. The easiest way to learn a language or a culture is by immersion. Live in the country and associate with people whose language and culture you want to learn.

If you love to travel and learn at the same time, then study abroad. You are not going to spend all your time within the bounds of the university. You may have some free time to explore the country and see their most famous sites.

When you have a course in mind and you can afford it, you can choose to study in a country best associated with the course. If you want to study engineering, you can go to Germany; if you want to take up arts and design, then Australia is your destination. If you want to excel in business, the USA has the best MBA programs such as Stanford, Harvard, Columbia, Cornell, MIT, UCLA, Berkeley, Yale, and NYU.

Preparing for a successful career may also push a student to study abroad. A foreign school looks good on the resume and may impress future employers.

US Student Visa

There are three types of non-immigrant student visas:

1. F Visa – For international students who intend to pursue academic degrees. There are further types of F Visa:

  • F-1 Visas for full-time students
  • F-2 Visas for dependents of F-1 visa holders (the spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21).

2. M Visa – For international students who want to engage in vocational or non-academic studies. There are also sub-types of M visa.

  • M-1 for students in vocational or non-academic studies
  • M-2 for dependents of M-1 visa holders (the spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21).

J Visa – For international exchange visitors who participate in programs which promote cultural exchange. Applicants must meet the program’s criteria of eligibility, and be sponsored by a private sector or a government program.

UK Student Visa

UK is the second favorite destination of students who wish to study abroad, second only to the US. This is no surprise because the UK has four of their universities ranked among the top ten universities in the world: the University of Cambridge, the University of Oxford, the University College London (UCL), and the Imperial College London.

The non-European Union citizens who plan to study in the UK are required to apply for a UK student visa, which depends on the students’ age, the course they intend to pursue, the length of time needed for the course, and the type of university or college where they intend to study.

There are two types of UK student visa. The first is the Student Visitor Visa (SVV), which is suitable for those taking English courses as well as short academic courses. The second type is the Tier 4 Visa, which is required for academic courses that take a much longer period of time to complete.

Source by Kristina B Yuchengco

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>